Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Anticipation

There has been some anticipation, some cautious optimism in my house recently. These feelings aren't all that uncommon this time of year being the Christmas season and all. However, the anticipation and the optimism had nothing to do with Christmas but instead had to do with the decision of 21 or 22 year old college student. My son and I were eagerly awaiting the announcement of whether Jake Locker would return to school for his senior season on the Husky football team or if he would enter the NFL draft where he would make millions of dollars. I know that this seems really silly to many (if not all) of you but we were waiting much like kids (and even adults) wait to see what they are getting for Christmas. We got what we wanted in this instance which was that he would return to the team. The problem is that next year that choice will no longer be available, he will have to move on to the NFL or somewhere else.

That's the problem with anticipating things like whether Jake Locker returns or not or most of the other things that we anticipate. What are you anticipating, what are you hoping for? Is it gifts under the tree, the departure of your latest illness, the return home of a loved one, kids, grand kids, a spouse - what is it that you are looking forward to? All of these things can be great, but, they all fall short of what we should ultimately anticipate. I am as guilty as anyone of fixing my eyes on things that don't last but my desire is to fix my eyes on what does last, what I can always count on and that is Jesus.

The Christmas season and end of the year is a common time for people to reflect on what is important, what we want to do differently, what our hopes and dreams are. As such, I encourage you to spend some time this year reflecting on these things, then ask yourself "where am I focused?" or "what am I focused on?". If you are like me, you may notice that your focus needs frequent adjustment, it needs to be refined. I am constantly needing to remind myself to adjust my focus and put it back on Jesus, I encourage you to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment