Monday, January 4, 2010

Who Can Show Us Any Good?

In Psalm 4:6 David says, "Many are asking, 'Who can show us any good?' ". I think there are many people wondering that today as well. If you look at our world this question can seem to not have an answer, at least not an easy one. Things are messed up in our world, just watch the evening news if you need confirmation of that. The problem is, when we look at the world, we are looking in the wrong place. In Mark 10 the rich young man calls Jesus "good teacher" and Jesus responds saying "Why do you call me good? No one is good - except God alone." Only God is good and "every good and perfect gift comes from above" as it says in James 1. God has blessed us in so many ways but we often times don't recognize or we even ignore His blessings. Choose to look for God's blessings in your life. No matter what is going on or what you are going through, you have been given many blessings, choose to see them.

While God alone is good, He has called His people to be salt and light in this world. Because we are to be like Christ as believers, we too can show this world good as we reflect His image. We are not good on our own but as we lean in to Him, trust Him and follow Him, we too can show good. The problem is I get in the way. That's why right here in my blog, for all of you to see and to hold me accountable I want to give up to God my; anger, frustration, selfishness, language, desire for more stuff, need/desire to be right, pessimism, and comfort seeking. In 2010 I want to focus on "whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable..." because "...if anything is excellent or praiseworthy..." I want to "...think about such things." If I am able to replace the list of struggles with this list from Philippians 4 then I too will be able to show the world good because Christ will shine through me.

No comments:

Post a Comment