Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Routine

I am a bit of a pattern or routine kind of guy. I don't really like new or different, instead, I like to know what to expect, know what is coming. That probably explains why I was somewhat convicted by the video I saw today called "Sunday's Coming" while also finding it funny.

Too often churches try to copy the big ideas or formulas that seem to have worked for other churches or worked in the past. This video goes even further and pokes fun at what I see as manipulation of emotions or feelings. I think the video would be even more funny if it weren't also so true. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't think there is anything wrong with have a plan for a service and coordinating what is going to happen when. I think the problem arises when it is so scripted or manipulated that it doesn't allow for God to work.

My life can get like that too. I can get so used to my plan or routine that I don't seek God's plan, I don't allow Him to work like He may want to in my life. I am working on changing that, on finding the areas in my life where I am on autopilot and need to let God work and stopping the routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment