Wednesday, February 1, 2012

When Passion is a Problem

If you have spent much time with me, you have probably discovered that I am a huge fan of the University of Washington. While I think it is a great university, I am really talking mostly about their football team and to a slightly lesser extent their basketball team. As a huge fan, today, February 1st, is pretty much a holiday for me. Why, because today is National Letter of Intent day. This is the day where high school seniors can officially commit to attend a school to play football. For many this is the end of what has been a year or even longer process of coaches, friends, family, strangers trying to "help" decide where to go to school. For fans of these schools it is a day of being hopeful of the future of the program or being disappointed about the direction.

In other words, I am a geek. I have been reading articles, checking tweets and looking for hints of where 18 year old kids are going to go to school. I don't know how much time I have spent doing all of this, not really a lot (depending on how you define "a lot"). But even though it hasn't been a lot, I have been increasingly convicted as today's "holiday" has come closer, about how much time, energy and passion has been expended on such a thing.

Do I have as much passion for Jesus and spending time with Him as I have for Husky football? I would honestly say that the answer is...sometimes. I don't follow Husky football because I have to. There was no requirement when I graduated that I had to take an interest in the program for the rest of my life or risk losing my degree. No, I follow Husky football because I am passionate about it. However, my passion for Jesus should be much greater. And, if it is much greater, it should my life should look like it.

What are you passionate about? Is it taking the place of Jesus in your life? If you say you are passionate about Jesus, is that apparent to those who see your life? I am really excited about the Huskies but I am in love with Jesus and want my life to look like it. I have some work to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment