Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Giving Thanks



We (Crosswater) will be doing a series on Gratitude in a couple of weeks and because I am preaching the first sermon, I have been doing some reading and thinking in order to prepare. Doing so has helped me to realize a few things;




  1. I don't do a great job of recognizing my blessings


  2. Even when recognized I don't do a good job of expressing my thankfulness for my blessings


  3. In order to say Thank You, there must be a you to thank and the ultimate object of Thanks should be Jesus


Because of these 3 things, I have been trying to do a better job of recognizing things I am thankful for, expressing that thankfulness and acknowledging who I should thank.



Today I am particularly thankful for my kids. Don't get me wrong, I am always thankful for my kids but today I have thought about it even more due to a phone call (actually 3 phone calls) from my youngest, Halle. Tonight is Dads and Kids pizza night at school and Halle called me (with help from mom) to ask me to take her. I had known about this event for awhile but wasn't planning on attending, after all I don't really need more things taking up my time. But when your 5 year old little sweetie calls you up and asks you to take her and nothing else is going on to prevent us going, how can I say no. After telling her that yes we can go I got to thinking how great it is that she (and my other two kids) wants to spend time with me. 10 years from now I may not be able to say that as she will be 15 and spending time with dad probably won't be high on her list of things she would like to do. But it is not 10 years from it is today, pizza day, and I get to spend the evening with my kids, for that I am very grateful. Thank you God for my kids, for blessing me with them and for loving them so much more than even I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment