Thursday, February 25, 2010

Connection

I have been thinking about connection this week as I was made aware of a family that has decided to leave our church because they didn't feel connected. It is almost always sad to see a family leave and when they do, I almost always wonder what we could have done differently or what we can do differently going forward.

When it comes to feeling or being connected, how much is up the church and how much is up to the individual or family? That's the question that I have been thinking about this week and I am not sure there really is an answer, at least not a good one. The church can provide all sorts of programs or opportunities for people to connect with others (small groups, softball teams, potlucks, service opportunities, church-wide events, etc.) but we can't force people to actually take part in those things or force connections when the do. Perhaps you have some insight into this, if so, please let me know.

As I continue to ponder the conundrum of church vs individual responsibility for connection, God reminded me that our most important connection is with Him. I was reading in 1 John 2 this morning which says (verse 28) "And now, dear children, continue in Him, so that when He appears we may be confident and unashamed before Him at His coming." The Greek word for "continue" here is the word meno which means; to stay, remain, live, dwell, abide. In other words, stay connected with Him. Life is busy and I don't do as good of a job as I should or even as good as I want to in staying connected with God. As you try to connect (or perhaps you try to avoid connecting) with family, friends, neighbors, etc., don't forget the most important connection of all, God!

No comments:

Post a Comment