Thursday, March 22, 2012

Life Lessons from a Sandwich Shop III: Learning From Mistakes


Awhile back I did a post based off of a sign that I saw at a Jimmy John's sandwich shop and since they have so many great signs, I decided to make a series out of it. Today's post is the third post in the series based on the sign above.
The best way to gain experience (really the only way) at something is to do it. Whether it is a job, a hobby or a skill there really is no substitute for "getting your hands dirty". Unfortunately when you are just starting to gain experience in something mistakes are part of the equation. I know, some people are able to pick some things up like they have been doing it forever, but, that is more of an exception than the norm.
For most of my life, I have avoided things if I wasn't reasonably sure that I would do them well. How silly is that? How can I possibly expect to do something well the first time that I do it? As silly as it is, that has frequently been my mindset. There are at least a couple of problems with that mindset: I missed out on a lot of things that I may have really enjoyed, and I missed out on the opportunity to learn from some mistakes.
We all make mistakes! The important thing is whether we learn from our mistakes. How do you handle mistakes? Do you allow them to define you as a failure? Do you allow them to cause you to quit? Or do you use them as an opportunity to grow and to get better? Without mistakes we wouldn't have (or at least not as soon as we did) Post-it Notes, Coca Cola, Tires, the light bulb, penicillin and many more things. Mistakes are important in helping us learn and grow. I don't necessarily recommend intentionally making mistakes or continuing to make the same mistakes, but, I do encourage you to not waste your mistakes, after all, "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted."

No comments:

Post a Comment