Thursday, March 31, 2011

Personal Responsibility

Is it just me or does it seem like there is a lack of personal responsibility in society these days? Perhaps this has always been the case and I have just been oblivious to it. Either way, I seem to be seeing it all around as I have conversations with people or hear people's comments about things anywhere from facebook or twitter to the news media. It seems like nothing is ever any one's fault, it's always somebody else's fault. Get caught rolling a joint and it is the fault of the police for targeting certain people. Aren't being fed enough in your spiritual life, it is because the pastor doesn't go deep enough. Having marriage problems, it's because your spouse doesn't treat you properly. Get a bad grade on your test, well the teacher didn't properly prepare you. You get the idea. Now, I'm not saying that there aren't factors outside of ourselves that play a role in what happens in our lives. What I am saying is that we need to own our actions and behavior. It can't ALWAYS be someone else's fault. Can it? I certainly have done this myself (I seldom hesitated to throw my brother or sister under the bus growing up) so I get the idea of self-preservation. However, my desire now is to be who God wants me to be and to follow Him the best that I can. That means I need to own my actions to have personal responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment